Sunday 27 April 2008

About journeys in space and time


Last week was colourful and full of travels. Starting last weekend, I managed to go to Holland, Lithuania, France and currently I am on my way to Iceland. It is when you travel to different places in such a short time span that you manage to realise the difference or indifference where you are in Europe. Its all too easy to simplify, or to say, that Europe becomes one bubble, it is not that simple and not that straight forward, but you can get fairly similar experience of night life wherever you are, you see the same brands, shops and of course Europeans as diverse as they are still the same.

I truly love my country, but I guess, I am becoming one of those hypocrits that have learned to love it from the distance and in small dozes. The ideal picture of a visit from my point of view would be... you land in the evening, drive to Siauliai, spend there a night, talk and listen to your parents, be a good son for an afternoon and then head to Vilnius, where you spend a night and a day with you friends. That is enough. More would become repetetive, tiring and annoying. I start to realise that house does not make a home and home is not related to your passport, but to your feeling of belonging to someone and not to something. I belong to the person I love and to the life that is breathing through her. I do not need more and I could defenitely take less of melancholic and sentimental statments that bring me to my childhood or remind me of my cravings as a baby, or allocating memories to houses, streets, fountains etc. etc. etc.

Holland, Keukenhof... blossoming, slightly cold, but very pleasant experience. It is amazing how much efforts people that work there put in order to make it different every year you come. My mother in law was there for the fourth time and she loved it again...

Weather in Lithuania was beautiful, people were still upset and quite a few of them wasted. Somehow my contryment (probably, I am as well) are such incredible moaners... and of course if you care for your country's future dare not to turn on the TV or radio, there you will hear circus of worst kind that does not inspire and clearly is not going to advance my country forward at least not at any time soon...

I have discovered for the first time probably different France, different from the usual locations like hectic and overcrowded Paris, parlamentary Strasbourg... Valley of Loire was beautiful, fresh and somehow endearing. All the chateaus and sunny weather made a difference, but it is also the people that I was able to relate somehow probably one of the first times... it clearly shows that I am taking French classes...

Iceland is starting now and I am about to board my first flight towards my favourite destination...

1 comment:

Everydayetterbeekoise said...

i couldnt agree more..:) especially also on the comment about media at home.:)

home is where heart feels home and this is at someone.:)

nice blog, very nice indeed.

ps. jealous about iceland!!! unfair world.:)